Re: [OM] More Pix

Subject: Re: [OM] More Pix
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2022 09:09:54 -0700
At 9/4/2022 09:23 PM, Moose wrote:

>On 9/4/2022 11:02 AM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:
>>Still trying to wrap my head ad around LB vs Vintage.
>
>Vintage:
>
>1. Made to be as good as possible with the tech of the time and the limits of
>budget. So, on average, name brands from the same time will be optically
>better than secondary and mystery brands. I have lenses labeled Super Lentar,
>Hanimex, Spiratone, Sankor, JC Penny, Alpex and Industar in my menagerie.
>
>They have old coatings, single or early multi. Good? Bad?
>
>2. They are old, internal designs may be odd. Things already have or may go
>wrong. I started having trouble with my Canon 58/1.2. The diaphragm and/or
>pre-set mechanism got sticky/weird. It looked inside like a tough job. I
>bought another one, which is fine.
>
>LensBaby:
>
>Although some of their lenses give vintage like results, their design goals
>are broader than that.
>With overall soft, sharp center with soft surround, linear sharp zone, which
>may be rotated, twisty, Velvet (as above), pinhole/sieve/zone plate, and so
>on, they aim to give photographers who want unusual effects unique tools. With
>large image circles and bendable and angle adjustable mounts for the
>interchangeable optics series, the sharp area may be put other than in the
>center of the frame.
>
>Contemporary multi-coating. Undoubtedly not as good as the major players, but
>pretty effective.
>
>Lomography:
>
>Much more about recreating the looks, external and optical, of famous vintage
>lenses - but in shorter FLs. Designed for FF format, but will work on smaller.
>I'm not sure I "get" most of them.
>
>If looking for a particular "look" or effect, check out their samples and
>examples on the image sharing sites. I don't much care whether what I want
>comes from a vintage or contemporary lens.

Thanks for the synopsis. It goes with what I was understanding. I'm interested
in the look as well, more so than the lens. I'm most interested in the
"nervous" bokeh effect, though, and not sure the LBs effects produce them? Some
people modify a lens, such as reversing the rear element. I'm thinking the OM
50mm 1.8 lens might be a candidate for experiments.

Some of the vintage lens's optical formula were changed, sometimes to make them
cheaper. I came across this article - using google translate.

https://pakira3-sakura-ne-jp.translate.goog/wp/?p=29993&_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp

There are a number of re-branded lenses made by Tomioka Optical, some of which
I am experimenting with. The PK mount versus m42 mount is example of a change
in formula to the Tomika lenses. For instance this discussion also:
https://toby-marshall.com/galleries/bokeh-tales/cosina-55mm-f1-2/
Toby Marshall's site inspired me to pursue this look more. However, my CV 110mm
is still my favorite lens to date.

There was also a person, who I mentioned in a previous post, who was showing
how to adapt lenses. I have not seen anything as good has his blog posts for
information. He was the one who suggested gutting a Vivatar 2X macro adapters
for use as a good helicoid. Unfortunately he suffered a major accident (I am
guessing while biking) and there has been nothing posted by him since. It was a
very sad thing to see and I still think about him. I appreciate how fortunate I
am, at an interesting time for photography, and don't take things for granted.

So thanks Moose for your photos and insight.

WayneS