[OM] OT: DNA Testing

Subject: [OM] OT: DNA Testing
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2022 15:40:49 +0000
For some time I have been considering having a DNA test, and last month
Ancestry had a Father's Day sale that was too good to pass up.  So, I finally
took the plunge.

The results showed up on Wednesday, and I was both disappointed and excited
about what I was traced back to. For decades I was led to believe that I was
related to ancestors who were involved in the Salem Witch Trials (Christian
Trask), and further back to a Captain William Traske who arrived in
Massachusetts in 1624. The DNA test proved those ideas to be entirely false.

Instead, I'm related to English settlers in Ontario and more so to Rivier du
Norde French settlers from southeastern France, all back in the early 17th
century. There were also components of Scottish, Irish, and Swedish/Danish DNA.
This was all from my father's contribution.My mother's half was limited to a
small area in southeast England barely larger than Connecticut. Overall, I'm
47% English and 40% French. Sadly, there was no Neanderthal component, nor
Druid.

I'm not surprised about the Swedish/Danish component as the family name can be
traced back to de Treske in Norway.

So now I'm motivated to pursue the Ancestry family tree feature on my father's
side.

It's comforting to know that I can be traced back to civilised societies in
Canada and France.

Chris

- Hunter S. Thompson