[OM] OT: DNA Testing

Subject: [OM] OT: DNA Testing
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2022 23:31:09 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
Interesting, but the lack of  any Neanderthal DNA at all is suspect..  Judging
by our previous registered list Neanderthal, there may be a positive
correlation between percent
Neanderthal DNA and photographic skills.  A brief look at recent developments
revealed that a previous postulate of loss of some Neanderthal DNA from the
genome due to negative selection bias was due to methodological issues.

https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.1814338116

There may be some enrichment of Neanderthal in East Asians but a recent article
cell more precisely defined the average Neanderthal DNA in Europeans at 1.7%.
The previous variation had been overestimated--sad for our registered
Neanderthal but probably good news for Chris.
Interestingly, there clearly is some Nean. DNA in Africans as well, which was
not appreciated.

Highlights from 2020 Cell article.
IBDmix detects archaic ancestry without using a modern human reference
population
African individuals have a stronger Neanderthal ancestry signal than previously
thought
Evidence of back-to-Africa migrations contributing to Neanderthal ancestry in
Africans
****Variation in non-African Neanderthal ancestry has been overestimated******

Stars are mine.

Probably 1.7% Neanderthal DNA, Mike