Re: [OM] WTFocus Stacking`

Subject: Re: [OM] WTFocus Stacking`
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2022 13:48:07 -0700
On 6/27/2022 11:07 AM, DZDub wrote:
On Mon, Jun 27, 2022 at 12:09 AM Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On my E-M II:

Focus stacking          = Off (i.e. Focus Bracketing = On, as set on the
prior screen.)
Set number of shots  = 31
Set focus differential  =  1
Charge Time              = 0
--------
Focus stacking          = On (as an option within Focus Bracketing)
Set number of shots  = 11
Set focus differential  =  1
Charge Time              = 0

This makes sense to me now.  Thanks for sticking with me.

Excellent! My pleasure, literally.

  I've even gotten
it to work, and it's extremely fast compared to focus stacking, which makes
me think the 15 seconds or so that it takes to do an in-camera focus stack
is mainly spent on processing rather than exposing.

Yup. If you watch the EVF/LCD during the process, you can see when shooting stops and processing begins. On my E-M1 II, shots are quick,  writing out ORFs and JPEGs and then processing is almost all of the time.

You mention backgrounds more than once. That's not what I'm looking for
with stack/bracketing. I'm looking for deeper
DoF than one shot can provide. Yes, the background matters, but that's a
separate issue to me, dealt with differently.
Two sides to a coin to me, although I suppose I think about backgrounds
more because I'm generally unwilling to spend a lot of time on backgrounds
in post.  I generally bracket (the old fashioned way) from f5.6 to f11 to
see where I get the best compromise of DoF and good background.

Chuck and the other DoF mavens claim(ed) that f5.6 is optimal for a 4/3" sensor. My experience and testing disagree, but f11 does get into visible loss of detail/sharpness.

I suspect that part of the disagreement 'tween the tables and practice may be that demosaicing the Bayer array data loses detail. Ctein estimates that loss at 50%. I've certainly seen it. Shoot on a tripod, regular and HR. Downsample the HR file to the size of the straight shot. The result has much better, clearer fine detail.

In my Bracketing practice, part of the process of leafing through the stack to determine which frames to merge is looking at the background.

I guess I'm saying they are never really separated for me.

One of the jobs of the stacking soft/firmware is to align the frames.
The second is to adjust for focus breathing making
frames slightly different sizes. All before actually merging focus.

Focus breathing may be one of the criteria for choosing which lenses are
compatible with in-camera FS

Notice that the Stacked JPEG is larger than the individual shots. There's a frame when shooting FS to show the tighter AoV. Dealing with focus breathing?

I assumed it was something more proprietorial than focus breathing per se.

I did say "may be" and "one of the criteria". 😁

Not all mZ lenses seem to work, which suggests design is a key.

It's all clear as mud to me. None of the non-macro primes are included, only
zooms, the macros and 8mm fishy.

Do you happen to know if any Panny m43 lenses will focus bracket on an Oly
camera?

Random grab - Panny 25/1.7 works fine. I suspect they all do. Bracketing is
much less fussy than Stacking.

Testing, Testing Moose