Re: [OM] WTFocus Stacking`

Subject: Re: [OM] WTFocus Stacking`
From: DZDub <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2022 15:30:15 -0500
On Sat, Jun 25, 2022 at 3:57 AM Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Recent OMS video on focus Stacking.
> <
> https://learnandsupport.getolympus.com/learn-center/photography-tips/macro/the-om-1-focus-stacking-explained
> >

> At about 2:10, he says that the first frame is the current focus, the next
> two are closer to camera, and the next 12
> slices are moving away from the first. it's very clear, with a graphic.

That clears up a mystery for me.  Thanks for posting!

There's nothing about this in the manual. I emailed the guy with questions.
> He says this is true of all OMD cameras
> (Young guy, limited experience.) Not true of E-M5 II, and probably not
> first E-M1, as Stacking was 8 frames, not the
> current 3-15.

The menu trail is slightly different to the EM-1iii, but all the rest is
the same.

Not true for Focus Bracketing, only stacking.

I still don't know what the difference is because I have no function
related to focus under "Bracketing" other than "Focus Stacking".  But it's
OK, as I can't figure out what focus bracketing would be for.  All of the
exposures in the stack are available to me on the EM-1, so I could treat a
selection of them as focus brackets if I wanted to try to outsmart the
camera.

My old version of PS (old to most people, still current for me) used to be
able to stack ORFs, if I'm not mistaken,  but the output would be a 16-bit
file to be saved as PSD or TIFF.  I presume the camera works with the JPGs,
because even if you shoot raw only, it creates jpgs as well as ORFs and
outputs a jpg as a result of the stack.

I was surprised that the guy set the interval at "10", up from the default
"5".  When I have strayed from the default, I've gone to smaller
intervals.  It makes me  believe that if he had taken a single shot at f11,
his background might not have been much worse, bokeh-wise.  When I do focus
stacks "manually" in PS, I rarely need more than 4-5 shots to get the
effect I want.  I have to say that so far the EM-1 defaults (8/5) have
worked as well as I could wish, but I don't have a telephoto that will work
with in-camera focus stacking to push that envelope.  But the day is coming.

Joel W.