Re: [OM] New cool gizmo, but limited application--flutterby flash kit

Subject: Re: [OM] New cool gizmo, but limited application--flutterby flash kit
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2022 16:06:11 -0700
At 6/19/2022 11:21 AM, Mike wrote:
>Once in a while like to use flash bracket when chasing flutterbys, but not
>lately as too heavy or inconvenient.  If using Lepp II bracket and want to
>change to portrait, typically have to turn the cam using an L-bracket with a
>mini clamp screwed in the bracket---unless the lens has a tripod mount.   The
>below gizmo would solve the issue.   The gizmo would likely cramp the gripping
>space in the A7R series so not sure would want it in lieu of L bracket in
>other situations.   After the poor experience with kickstarter with the
>Arsenal gizmo, I'll wait till it's out.  Never try anything when they suggest
>putting the thing in the freezer for 20 min to make firmware upgrades go
>smoothly.
>
>https://www.dpreview.com/news/8487488165/kickstarter-atoll-tripod-collar-makes-camera-angle-adjustment-a-breeze-no-matter-your-gear
>
>https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/silencecorner/atoll
>
>I am sure Dr. No Tripod will get one asap.
>
>Mike

fortunately, you would not have to change the firmware.

The first problem I see is that my fingers, with many lenses, are already tight
on an A7 camera grip and I don't have large fingers. Just watching the video,
you can see that the guy is not putting his finger fully on the grip.

The only way I can see holding the camera would be to use it in conjunction
with a good hand strap. I splurged one day and got the SpiderPro Hand Strap:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1543142-REG/spider_camera_holster_966_spiderpro_hand_strap_v2.html

A really nice strap and works for me better than the Peak Design hand strap.

With this strap it might be bearable???

In addition, since the lenses can be removed, the mounting on an A7 must attach
to very little real estate - the 4mm ring around the lens mount- Unless I am
not understanding how it mounts to the camera. Perhaps it only works with
specific camera bodies? But I do see an A7  in one photo. I can see my camera
tumbling down the cliff into the water the guy is shooting from because the
camera slipped out of the ring while changing a lens.

With a larger lens, one would have to remove the lens to mount this thing to
the camera.

WayneS