Re: [OM] Painterly vintage Lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Painterly vintage Lenses
From: T Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 22:50:10 -0700
Your question is one deserving a lengthy essay answer that would still only
scratch the surface. But you've caught me in our turtle in a campground.
Some limited thoughts.

I'm pretty deep into this abyss, with a drawerful of lenses of the sort you
ask about.

"Vintage" is not a good indicator of anything. For example, the first real
telephoto for 35mm SLRs was the Nikkor Q 200/4. Even it's first version is
optically top quality, better than either OM 200 mm. OTOH, a  later Alpex
200/3.5 is full of pleasing glow wide open. I have both; the Nikkor is not
on my list of alt Lenses and the Alpex is.

There are basically three sorts of devices that may give results you like.

1. Early, fast lenses. My Canon 58/1.2, released in Feb, 1962, has quite
interesting, painterly rendering at large apertures. The OM 55/1.2 is a
much later design, and too optically good for my idea of Alt Photography.
There are no OM lenses that qualify.

2. The other sort are those made by LensBaby and Lomography with
intentional optical "flaws" to create less than perfect optical rendering.
A casual look at LensBaby may create the idea that they have endless
similar lenses. A closer look shows that they offer a wide range of
different specific sorts of renderings.

It looks like I have about 15 Alt Lenses and about a dozen LensBaby optic
swap lenses and stand alone lenses.

3. Nikkor Soft filters. These are very different from the raindrop or grid
pattern filters or grease smeared on a clear filter, or stretched nylons,
etc. Subtler, and more like old time lenses.

I agree with you about swirly bokeh, interesting occasionally, but not
mainstream. I have one lens for 4/3 and one for FF.

More to say, and lots of examples, but later.

Some images to chew on
https://goo.gl/photos/X3z53ZKAK3MEZrT79

Travelin' Moose