Re: [OM] Life update

Subject: Re: [OM] Life update
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 15:14:55 -0700
At 5/19/2022 09:42 PM, Life Happens Moose wrote:

>On 5/16/2022 7:55 AM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:
>>I have not been super active on the list. I threw my back out working on the
>>house at the end of March. I could barely walk around for 3 weeks. I
>>eventually could ride my bike and that seems to be helping my back a lot. The
>>Dr wanted to fuse L4-L5 but now, with biking, I'm much better. I figure as
>>long as I am getting better, I'll avoid surgery. So far no more pain.
>
>Excellent! I hope it keeps working for you.
>
>>Also, after 4 years from my wife's death I now have a new relationship.
>>Something I did not think would happen.
>
>Even more excellent!!  Each of us has a different schedule. For me, it was
>just over the "standard" year. For a work friend, it was less than a year to
>remarrying. The tsk-tsk, tut-tut folks thought it wrong. When I saw him much
>later, a few years after retirement, they were still happily married.
>
>It took me a few tries, a couple live-in, to find my magical Carol. Amazingly
>worth the wait. ð???

I was not actively looking and got lucky. I guess Life is not done teaching me
things about myself.

>>Fortunately she is also a PT and has taught me 'neutral spine position."
>
>My "back thrown out" episode was shorter, but perhaps more intense? I had to
>crawl to the bathroom for a couple of days, before slowly, creakily starting
>to totter about. Mustard plasters were a big help.

Mine was pretty intense for several days before I could even think of trying to
walk. I walked bent over. Now, I have been taught "neutral spine position",
which I will have to practice probably the rest of my life. That probably
includes neutral camera position as well.

>>I still plan to sell and move, but now I have a new destination.
>
>. . . ?

Because of the relationship, for now to Prescott AZ. 10 degrees cooler than N
Scottsdale, and not my ideal choice but what works for now. Seems a lot of
places I was considering are close to going up in smoke. So I still don't know
a final destination. This will hopefully be a short couple of years. I can't
predict the future as much as I would like to.

>>Here in AZ the Palo Verde trees have been in bloom. The bees are quite happy
>>and thinking of Jim Nichols and his Buddleia bush, I attempted some bee shots
>>with manual focus lens (110 CV) and not very successful.
>
>I wouldn't even try.
>
>>I'll probably never see bees again and not think of Jim.
>
>I do think of Jim often; more associated with wandering about house and
>garden, looking for special shots, than specifically with bees.
>
>>I'll have to try a different lens.
>
>I've thought of my 100-400 lenses as "Bee Catchers"

I was going to try that next. only the Sonnie version. I decided to let go the
PL and GX9.

>>But did take these shots of the flowers (stacked in helicon):
>
>>The Palo Verde flowers the bees love:
>>https://photos.app.goo.gl/iWBX827ji6xvr6un8
>
>Just LUV this one. The combination of bright color with a soft, pastel look is
>wonderful!

Thanks, Stack of 26. Not much processing

>>and after the flowers fall to the ground:
>>https://photos.app.goo.gl/Z8iM1mKwzMcyPunN7
>
>Almost as good, but there's a subtle roughness/noise that detracts slightly
>from the delicacy to this eagle eye.
>
>Manual focus stacking with 110 CV?

Thanks again. I guess I am not eagle eyed. Iso 200, so I don't see much noise.
This was stack of 30 with 110 CV.

>>I'd show a bee shot but the large focus throw of the 110mm lens makes it
>>tricky to catch fast moving bees in focus. I'm not up to Jim's level of
>>patience either.
>
>I doubt I'll ever have his patience. I love watching the birds on our feeder
>and fountain, but don't wait long periods for the right shots. I've got the
>right physical gear . . .
>
>Life Continues to Happen Moose

WayneS