Re: [OM] Flim these days

Subject: Re: [OM] Flim these days
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 19:52:49 -0800
Late to the party?

Both of these have, to my eye, a distinct magenta cast. I think it was the flesh tones of the Bhutanese woman that bothered me, at first. But the cast is overall. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Process/Color/Ektar100Color.htm>

Better Late Moose

<<Ektar 100, any experience?

Yes, one of my favorites.  I shot a bunch of rolls while traveling, but alas
have not done so since the before times.  It is beautiful for landscapes and
not too bad for skin tones --sometimes. If not evenly lit, the skin of
Caucasians gets a bit ruddy
and I have trouble in PP rendering the skin tones just right.  The film does
not tolerate underexposure well as the shadows get muddy and very very hard to
scan.  AG made heroic scanning efforts to save some of my shots.  The colors
seem to go a bit pastel if overexposed. It is very fine grained when well
exposed.
The shadows can get blue and sometimes go nuclear in that regard but easily tamed after
scanning.  I found that pulling down the blue channel midway in curves just a tad (mostly
in shadows) is fa decent methodology to tame this. .  Others "fix" this in
other ways.  I don't Totally ablate it as it is an Ektar signature.  I am not usually a
fan of hard profiling and totally ablating the spectral characteristics of the film.   I
think AG  would prefer to scan Porta 400 which has nicer skin tones but still good colors.

https://www.olyendomike.com/Bhutan-Bangkok-2017/i-MvBs6Cq/A

A place we stayed in France near Boussac:  I don't know why I didn't straighten
it fully.

https://www.olyendomike.com/Other/Dordogne-Pays-Basque-2015/i-jNQgsLw/A

Looking forward to more film shooting these days, Mike