Re: [OM] Oly futures

Subject: Re: [OM] Oly futures
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2022 22:01:13 -0800
On 1/8/2022 7:11 AM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:
At 1/8/2022 01:57 AM, you wrote:

On 1/7/2022 9:17 PM, Bob Benson wrote:
This is a silly question.
But I wonder how difficult it would be for Oly to adapt something like a
MrkIII to a 4 x 4 format.  I ask this as a old Rolliflex / Mamiyaflex
user.  square was good ... and I'd think all the Oly lenses would work (the
circle would cover 4x4).  And this would offer really interesting
possibilities.
Anyway, a silly question:  probably for Moose and Ken.
Not sure what you mean by 4x4. The sensor is 17.4x13 mm.

If you mean 13x13 mm, it's a firmware thing, cutting off the sides in VFs and
output.

If you mean 17.4x17.4, it would be a wholesale mechanical redesign, and finding someone
to produce the odd size sensor. Sony makes current µ4/3 sensors. Nevva gonna
hoppen.

In practice, there would be no significant difference between the two
approaches.

I - So, put some tape on the edges of the LCD, flip it pointing up, ignore the EVF, and you have your
OlyFlex. 😁

II - Skip the tape and use a grid for framing square. In menu D3, the first
Grid Setting gives a square in the middle. The Grid Settings Presets give
complete control over grid line color and opacity.

In either case, crop to square in post

III - Some digicams offered multiple formats in firmware. My Canon 60D offered
a square format. But a quick look suggests Canon dropped all the alternate
formats in more recent cameras.

Buy a used 60D, slap a 20/2.8 lens on it, set to square format, and you're all
set to emulate a RolleiFlex - but with AF. About $600.

Un Square Moose
I think Bob is referring to 4x4 cm medium format typical of a TLR.

Except - the two he refers to are 6x6 cm. We could, of course, wait for Bob,
but speculation can be fun, no?

So, with the reference to a µ4/3 camera, which is 4:3, I speculated that the reference is to the 4 part of 4/3, and I headed out from there. 😁

There is still a look difference to that format over a smaller sensor besides
the squareness.

I am the skeptic there. When I have gone back and scanned 6x6 film from dad's Kodak 6x6 and my Rolleicord, I haven't been impressed with resolution, dynamic range, etc. If comparing memories of great prints from 6x6 film with what I can see on my screen from smaller format digital, I just think it's apples and oranges.

Ctein made, and makes, much of his living as a master printer. He tore out his darkroom and remodeled his basement into other things when he could make better prints with digital printers than in his wet darkroom. I've been in his printer room. I have three of his prints. One monochrome 16x20, from 12 MP µ4/3, has exquisite tonalities dynamic range, detail, etc.

The same as film? How to compare? As good as, or better? Definitely.

Oly never considered Full Frame digital. I highly doubt they would go even
further to 4x4cm. That's a major commitment for a company that is struggling as
is.

Way too much competition up there. Someone is going to fall out.