Re: [OM] Oly futures

Subject: Re: [OM] Oly futures
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2022 00:57:11 -0800
On 1/7/2022 9:17 PM, Bob Benson wrote:
This is a silly question.
But I wonder how difficult it would be for Oly to adapt something like a
MrkIII to a 4 x 4 format.  I ask this as a old Rolliflex / Mamiyaflex
user.  square was good ... and I'd think all the Oly lenses would work (the
circle would cover 4x4).  And this would offer really interesting
possibilities.
Anyway, a silly question:  probably for Moose and Ken.

Not sure what you mean by 4x4. The sensor is 17.4x13 mm.

If you mean 13x13 mm, it's a firmware thing, cutting off the sides in VFs and
output.

If you mean 17.4x17.4, it would be a wholesale mechanical redesign, and finding someone to produce the odd size sensor. Sony makes current µ4/3 sensors. Nevva gonna hoppen.

In practice, there would be no significant difference between the two
approaches.

I - So, put some tape on the edges of the LCD, flip it pointing up, ignore the EVF, and
you have your OlyFlex. 😁

II - Skip the tape and use a grid for framing square. In menu D3, the first Grid Setting gives a square in the middle. The Grid Settings Presets give complete control over grid line color and opacity.

In either case, crop to square in post

III - Some digicams offered multiple formats in firmware. My Canon 60D offered a square format. But a quick look suggests Canon dropped all the alternate formats in more recent cameras.

Buy a used 60D, slap a 20/2.8 lens on it, set to square format, and you're all set to emulate a RolleiFlex - but with AF. About $600.

Un Square Moose