Re: [OM] Magnetic Filter Adapters

Subject: Re: [OM] Magnetic Filter Adapters
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2022 10:47:15 -0800
On 1/3/2022 5:06 PM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:
longer doable... my limited searching.

The Xume filter adapters come in limited sizes 46, 55, 62, 82 mm. One can pick
the 82mm and then use step up/down rings to adapt them to 77 or 72mm
filters/lenses. However, looking at this page, only the 46 and 82mm filter
holder are listed and the 82mm holder is listed as out of stock.

https://www.manfrotto.com/global/products/photographic-filters/quick-release-filter-adapters/

All the systems, Kase Wolverine, Freewell, Haida, ... I checked have the lens adapter
that attaches to the lens so you can then use a "magnetic" filter they are
happy to sell you.

BH shows 72mm and 58mm discontinued AND only the 46mm filter holder is listed.
Seems Manfrotto is dumping the Xume system as soon as stock runs out. Perhaps
too many have failed in the field so Manfrotto is axing Xume.

No, Nooooooo . . . . . . .

Why why did they take over Xume, if they didn't really want them?

I find it hard to imagine that failures were a problem. The one I had fail was carrying an Oly B-Macro H.Q. Converter f=40cm, 102 g. with 55-58 mm adapter ring. A simple filter that size weighs 16 g. I was WAY over design weight. BTW, they sent me a replacement.

I've put heavy C-U lenses and light filters and lens caps on and off thousands of times, with nary another glitch. I have at least one each of 58 mm and 62 mm and at least two 72 mm receivers, and many more filter holders. That may turn out to be a lifetime supply, but what about other folks?

Time to try super glue on the 58 mm receiver?

I did not find any other filter adapters other than Xume. Any advice would be
appreciated as the magnetic filter holder seems a great way to go for a CU
filter, but so far I can only find the lens adapters to go with magnetic
filters. Adapting an existing filter is no longer an option unless there is
another way??

I don't know of an alternative. We need an entrepreneurial type to arrange to buy the tooling, etc. with a Kickstarter campaign.

But Not Me Moose