Re: [OM] Magnetic Filter Adapters

Subject: Re: [OM] Magnetic Filter Adapters
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2022 18:06:44 -0700
At 1/1/2022 02:59 AM, Moose wrote:
>On 12/31/2021 10:41 PM, Wayne Harridge wrote:
>>Happy New Year !
>>
>>I'm currently dabbling in some experiments with photographing with UV, I've
>>picked up an ancient Nikon D70 which has a reasonable sensitivity to UV
>>without any "surgery" but as it's a DSLR rather than mirrorless I need to
>>frame and focus without a filter then screw in the appropriate UV filters to
>>shoot.  This has become a real PITA  so I'm looking to use a magnetic system
>>for swapping filters in/out.  Any recommendations about systems?
>
>Yes, yes!
>
>Manfrotto Xume.
>
>Xume was an independent start-up, then bought by Manfrotto. Got lots of 'em,
>in several sizes love 'em! The speed/practicality of use compared to threads
>is infinitely better.
>
>I mostly use them for achromatic C-U lenses, which are much heavier than
>filters. I've had one failure, where the magnetic ring came unglued from the
>threaded part. I don't remember the exact circumstances, but nothing was
>damaged. With just a filter, or two, I think they are bulletproof.
>
>Perfect for your intended use.

longer doable... my limited searching.

The Xume filter adapters come in limited sizes 46, 55, 62, 82 mm. One can pick
the 82mm and then use step up/down rings to adapt them to 77 or 72mm
filters/lenses. However, looking at this page, only the 46 and 82mm filter
holder are listed and the 82mm holder is listed as out of stock.

https://www.manfrotto.com/global/products/photographic-filters/quick-release-filter-adapters/

All the systems, Kase Wolverine, Freewell, Haida, ... I checked have the lens
adapter that attaches to the lens so you can then use a "magnetic" filter they
are happy to sell you.

BH shows 72mm and 58mm discontinued AND only the 46mm filter holder is listed.
Seems Manfrotto is dumping the Xume system as soon as stock runs out. Perhaps
too many have failed in the field so Manfrotto is axing Xume.

I did not find any other filter adapters other than Xume. Any advice would be
appreciated as the magnetic filter holder seems a great way to go for a CU
filter, but so far I can only find the lens adapters to go with magnetic
filters. Adapting an existing filter is no longer an option unless there is
another way??

WayneS