Re: [OM] New Branding announcement

Subject: Re: [OM] New Branding announcement
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 22:07:18 -0700
On 10/27/2021 9:44 AM, John Hermanson wrote:
Incredible and satisfying to see them simply rebrand as "OM System".

On Wed, Oct 27, 2021 at 10:03 AM Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Just got this email from Oly this morning -- the spun-off company is
rebranding.

https://om-digitalsolutions.com/octannouncement/en/?utm_content=cta&utm_campaign=2021_10_AnnounceOPR_US&utm_kxconfid=t5ljhtrz5&utm_source=email_etprm&utm_medium=email

"Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

Like eating air.

Nice quotes from St. Maitani, mostly about compactness and minimal size/weight. Good thing he didn't live to see the E-M1x — it would've killed him.

Point about lens size/weight vs. FF DSLRs well taken; it's why I shoot µ4/3. Also applies to lenses for FF mirrorless as well, but not so much to the cameras. Let's face it, my E-M1 II and A7R II are the same size and weight, in the hand. Yet the Sony has a much larger sensor and many more MPs.

The original film OMs had a real size and weight advantage over the competition. I switched from Nikon to an OM-1 for exactly Maitani's reasons. Now, not so much. An E-M1 II is much bigger and clunkier than a GX9. The Oly 100-400 is also bigger and clunkier than the PanLeica one. Where is Oly innovative thinking and attention to compact/size/weight in the huge tripod adapter on their 100-400? The Panny one is permanent, tiny, light and not in the way.

E-M1 II with Oly 100-400 is a whole step up in size/weight from GX9 and PL 100-400. I'm putting up with it, so far, for the Pro shooting Mode and Telextender. But honestly, without Oly's super IS sync, I think the PL on Panny body has slightly better IS.

The E-M5 II and III are on spec comparable to the GX9, but in person, in hand,
the Pannys look/feel more compact.
--------------------------
Where's the Beef?

In all the bloviation, the only hint of anything new seems to suggest a new body, with “the use of computational photographic technology.“ No mention of size/weight.

". . . the interchangeable lens camera that we are now developing combines our industry leading manufacturing capabilities and cutting-edge technologies to significantly improve performance and provide an unrivaled photographic experience. Leave aside all the noise about compact/size/weight and I agree with Mike:
"
Oly . . . excels in many software features---hand held high res, focus
bracketing, starry sky auto focus, Pro capture, to name a few.

"We are leveraging the Micro Four Thirds System standard to make more compact and lightweight systems". Well, they have been introducing slower, and thus smaller, lighter zooms in the wide to moderate zoom range. Pair that with same size camera bodies and voila — more compact, lighter systems.

Sony's 4/3 size sensor announcement and rumors suggest what we will see is a new body with the Sony global shutter sensor. Anybody want to bet it won't be an upgrade to the E-M1 series, in the same package?

I'm not really Oly bashing, well, only a little. I'm happy if they survive and
thrive after the spin-off.

But this announcement is just the stuff you need to elevate your balloon.

Un Inflated Moose