Re: [OM] Fireweed and Cook Inlet

Subject: Re: [OM] Fireweed and Cook Inlet
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2021 16:22:31 -0700
On 9/7/2021 5:41 PM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:
For the cameras that don't get the color the way you like, have you
experimented with the camera profiles? Or try creating one?

This is an area of modest interest to me, but not because I wish to get "into" profiles. My interest is in why people are interested in doing so.

I'm out in the world, I take a picture. The angle of the sun and content of the atmosphere are unique, and can't be repeated. The subject is of a color that can't actually be fully documented. Natural things change at least daily, often hourly. Paint ages and changes color.

Sooooo . . . There is no actual "True Color" that may be referenced.

Further, my eyes see quite differently than my cameras. They do all sorts of
color compensation, for one thing.

Sooooo . . . Even if there were an absolute reference, it would not agree with
my experience.

Anyone who views the photo does so on an imperfect screen or print. What I see, on my monitor, is not quite what you see, on yours.

Sooooo . . . If I like the color; it agrees with my, highly fallible, memory, it's all good; and there is no one or device to disagree. If I don't like it, I make it look right; and there is no one or device to disagree.

Sooooo . . . I shoot Daylight for almost everything, adjust WB to taste, a
minority of the time, and don't worry about it.

This was an interesting article on using a Linear profile.
https://trentsizemore.com/blog/using-a-linear-camera-calibration-profile/

This seems iffy to me. The sensor record passes a true linear image on to the firmware. If not converted for human viewing, it appears VERY dark. Take a look here, particularly at Figs. 5 & 6. <http://www.guillermoluijk.com/tutorial/dcraw/index_en.htm>
 There is  LOT of good info about Raw conversion in this article.

Also read Ctein's very good articles,

Why ISO Isn't ISO
<https://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2012/09/why-iso-isnt-iso.html>

and RAW is not RAW.
<https://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2012/10/raw-is-not-raw.html>

What this guy is showing is a different Gamma correction than the standard, a different mapping of original linear values in to something human viewable, not some sort of absolute. The effect of choices of Gamma is discussed down in the first above ref.

"I’d much rather have an unadjusted starting point (linear tone curve)" is
simply not true.

Curvilinear Pedant Moose