Re: [OM] Fireweed and Cook Inlet

Subject: Re: [OM] Fireweed and Cook Inlet
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2021 19:24:02 -0700
At 9/7/2021 06:19 PM, you wrote:
>At 9/7/2021 05:41 PM, I wrote:

>>>I'm going to say that the Olympus EM-5 and the E-3 are probably about
>>>the most "accurate" in color here in Alaska when using "Adobe Color"
>>>in Lightroom. The AWB of the EM-5 is actually the best of ALL of my
>>>cameras. Hands down, it's the best.
>>>
>>>What you are seeing in the background, with the bluish cast is not
>>>unusual for the Olympus cameras. However, this is quite a bit
>>>different than just about all other cameras that turn it some putrid
>>>color. "Adobe Color" or "Adobe Standard" does a good job with Olympus
>>>cameras of keeping those blues in the distant more neutral. The
>>>Panasonic and Sony cameras are difficult to get balanced, but the
>>>Canons are in an entirely different world with colors. Lighting is
>>>very odd here in Alaska with very clear skies that have unusual
>>>pollutants in the atmosphere that come from Europe and northern Asia.
>>>I can almost always identify pictures taken with Canons. They have
>>>really horrid colors.
>>>
>>>In this specific photograph, I used "Adobe Standard". Highlight and
>>>Shadow recovery are at nearly 100%. I exposed to protect the
>>>highlights, so there was another stop worth of exposure recovery. Tons
>>>of other adjustments too. I shot this with the cellphone too, and I
>>>could actually get the colors and contrast to match almost identically
>>>(using Adobe Standard on the iPhone12Pro's dng shot in the Lightroom
>>>app), but the noise in the iPhone shot is MUCH MUCH worse.
>>>
>>>Side note about Lightroom. The AWB in Lightroom with Sony and
>>>Panasonic files is terrible. VERY VERY terrible.
>>
>>For the cameras that don't get the color the way you like, have you
>>experimented with the camera profiles? Or try creating one?
>>This was an interesting article on using a Linear profile.
>>https://trentsizemore.com/blog/using-a-linear-camera-calibration-profile/
>>Also explains how to create a profile using the DNG Profile Editor.
>>How would using a linear profile help/hurt the need for Highlight/Shadow at
>>100%?
>>The linear profile was suggested on FM for someone with over saturated colors.
>>
>>curious WayneS
>
>PS: The profile editor I had to download with filezilla at ftp.adobe.com
>Username: anonymous   Password: password
>and go to
>/pub/adobe/dng/win for windows
>/pub/adobe/dng/mac for mac
>
>I am wondering if you can adjust/create the profile for specific cameras to
>get the look you want from them might save a lot of post processing. I'm just
>wondering, if saying the EM-5 just works, happens to be that the adobe
>profiles just works for that camera. So is the issue with other cameras simply
>a matter of getting the profile in Adobe corrected for that camera versus
>anything special about the camera itself?
>
>WayneS

PS, PS: I'm learning a bit... and noticed that ACR has camera specific
profiles. My understanding is these camera profiles are adobe generated to try
and match the in camera profiles for JPEGs. At least that is my understanding
unless the camera manufacturer provides them to Adobe.

in ACR, if you click on the icon to the right of Profile drop-down, you can
open up to where the camera specific profiles are, under Camera Matching.
Otherwise the drop down only shows the Adobe profiles. You can then select a
camera profile. For example, A7Riii there are: Clear Deep Landscape Light
Neutral Portrait Standard Vivid and Monochrome.

Time to experiment.
WayneS