Re: [OM] Fireweed and Cook Inlet

Subject: Re: [OM] Fireweed and Cook Inlet
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 10:04:42 -0800
WayneS wrote:
> On question: I was reading an FStoppers article on "When Photographers Stop
> Seeing" and noticed this comment...
>
> "It is also important to note that cameras across all brands have imperfect
> color interpretation and rendition. Cameras often mistake certain hues for
> chromatically neighboring shades. As a landscape photographer, personally my
> biggest frustration is when the sensor perceives the blue sky as purple due
> to the bright warm cast of the sun during the golden hour."
>
> I was wondering if you are seeing this in your image here? or do you think it
> is pretty accurate? Looking at the background.

I'm going to say that the Olympus EM-5 and the E-3 are probably about
the most "accurate" in color here in Alaska when using "Adobe Color"
in Lightroom. The AWB of the EM-5 is actually the best of ALL of my
cameras. Hands down, it's the best.

What you are seeing in the background, with the bluish cast is not
unusual for the Olympus cameras. However, this is quite a bit
different than just about all other cameras that turn it some putrid
color. "Adobe Color" or "Adobe Standard" does a good job with Olympus
cameras of keeping those blues in the distant more neutral. The
Panasonic and Sony cameras are difficult to get balanced, but the
Canons are in an entirely different world with colors. Lighting is
very odd here in Alaska with very clear skies that have unusual
pollutants in the atmosphere that come from Europe and northern Asia.
I can almost always identify pictures taken with Canons. They have
really horrid colors.

In this specific photograph, I used "Adobe Standard". Highlight and
Shadow recovery are at nearly 100%. I exposed to protect the
highlights, so there was another stop worth of exposure recovery. Tons
of other adjustments too. I shot this with the cellphone too, and I
could actually get the colors and contrast to match almost identically
(using Adobe Standard on the iPhone12Pro's dng shot in the Lightroom
app), but the noise in the iPhone shot is MUCH MUCH worse.

Side note about Lightroom. The AWB in Lightroom with Sony and
Panasonic files is terrible. VERY VERY terrible.

> If you are looking for any critiquing, I notice my eye is pulled to the left
> and where the tall grass feels a bit cut off. Probably unavoidable, but what
> I notice. Overall though nice.

I agree. It's not a portfolio picture.

AG Schnozz