Re: [OM] Photoessay: OM Zuiko 500mm f/8 Reflex

Subject: Re: [OM] Photoessay: OM Zuiko 500mm f/8 Reflex
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2021 10:40:47 -0700
On 7/26/2021 10:19 AM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:
At 7/26/2021 07:50 AM, jan wrote:

Sample variation?

I currently have two. Each of them is markedly better than my 600/6.5.

So, you could have a bum 500/8, or I could have a bum 600/6.5.

My copy from a long time ago was not that impressive either. A friend and I
built a 6 inch telescope as a teenager.

I built a 4 1/4" telescope in my early teens. 😁

The silver coating on the mirror would degrade easily. Not sure about this lens
if there is some protective coating on the silver?

I assume so, for this and all such lenses, as I don't recall any complaints. Everything else is multi coated, so I assume the mirror would be, too. In my specific case, the lens is pristine, and the mirror looks flawless, peering in with a flashlight.

The fixed F8, donuts, low contrast, and tricky focus was not for me. I shot
maybe one roll of film with it before giving it up. The 100/2 was a much better
portrait lens. I don't recall how well the 500 worked with the micro prism on
the screen either, where a lower F-stop lens works better.

I imagine the split image and microprism focus aids on standard screens would not work. A 1-8 screen would likely be best. Of no consequence using it on a mirrorless camera with electronic focusing aids and magnified view.

Semi Blurry Moose