Re: [OM] Photoessay: OM Zuiko 500mm f/8 Reflex

Subject: Re: [OM] Photoessay: OM Zuiko 500mm f/8 Reflex
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2021 10:19:54 -0700
At 7/26/2021 07:50 AM, jan wrote:
>> From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>>
>>
>> On 7/23/2021 11:01 AM, Jan Steinman wrote:
>>> This thing never ceases to amaze me! A hand-held 700mm-equivalent candid
>>> portrait lens!
>>
>> ... but it's not optically outstanding...
>>
>> Yes, it's amazingly compact, but not nearly as optically good as the huge
>> older 600/6.5
>
>Sample variation?
>
>I currently have two. Each of them is markedly better than my 600/6.5.
>
>So, you could have a bum 500/8, or I could have a bum 600/6.5.
>
>Jan

My copy from a long time ago was not that impressive either. A friend and I
built a 6 inch telescope as a teenager. The silver coating on the mirror would
degrade easily. Not sure about this lens if there is some protective coating on
the silver?

The fixed F8, donuts, low contrast, and tricky focus was not for me. I shot
maybe one roll of film with it before giving it up. The 100/2 was a much better
portrait lens. I don't recall how well the 500 worked with the micro prism on
the screen either, where a lower F-stop lens works better.

WayneS