Re: [OM] Brief walk through Tower Hill Botanical Garden

Subject: Re: [OM] Brief walk through Tower Hill Botanical Garden
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2021 01:46:03 -0700
<<You say the Oly will get close but shades the subject, almost touching it. Is
<<this the Oly at the wide end rather than at 100mm for the closeup?

Yes, that is correct.  The Siggie achromatic CU diopter is 72mm and fits w/o
any step-up-down ring and evens the playing field some.  The Nykon 5T is 62mm
and works well and fits directly on the PL 12-60.  The PL is a tad faster on
the short end and  seems to have a bit better bokeh and subject isolation.
It took me over 45 min to try and smooth the background a tad in one of
Marnie's shots with the MZ 12-100/4 from Bhutan and may not have done a perfect
job.

https://www.olyendomike.com/Bhutan-Bangkok-2017/i-GR6KSgG/A

That's a long time! Select=>Subject should get a good start on a mask. Use Select and Mask to make the subject mask quicker and better, esp for the hair, if you weren't already doing that. A way to make a blurred background layer look more natural with many subjects is to use a Gradient Mask, so it gets blurrier with "distance".

An example from Tower Hill. <https://photos.app.goo.gl/2DMQ452qxYgcoLZK7>

Have to say I bet the MZ12-100 is a smidge sharper at 60mm than the 12-60.

Not a clue. I've used both and never had the feeling one was optically better,
but never tested.

I like both lenses and neither is perfect.

The PL is perfecter for C-Us. The Oly is perfecter from 61-100 mm. 😁

Masked Moose