Re: [OM] Do you suffer from vemodalen?

Subject: Re: [OM] Do you suffer from vemodalen?
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2021 12:00:47 -0800
> And by the way, I've seen several of Bob's public exhibitions, and I must say
> that. although many of his photos couldn't be called groundbreaking, they are
> quite good, and in no way seem to be to be derivative.

I think part of the problem has to do with those photographers (of
which I know of a couple in this group) who seek out famous
photographs and try to recreate/rephotograph them. This is pretty
typical of those who want their own Ansel Adams print without having
an Ansel Adams print. I see that all the time here in Alaska where
people think that they have to hit the specific spots to capture some
famous photographs or scenes, but end up driving right past even
better spots and scenes. In four years of living here, I've barely
even left the Anchorage area because what is available here in my own
neighborhood meets and exceeds nearly everything I've ever seen and
experienced in the lower-48.

Having lived in Iowa for around 20 years, I got pretty adept at
finding new ways to photograph old and boring subjects. Honestly,
inspiration was rare. I probably took 5-6 photographs a year that were
truly "original". Everything else was a derivative of something I had
already taken.

AK Schnozz