Re: [OM] IMG: Recalling Life Fifteen Years Ago

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Recalling Life Fifteen Years Ago
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 19:04:53 -0500
Thanks, Mike.  I bought a used Leica at the age of 22, while in the USAF, and it was from the 1930s, possibly a war trophy.  It had been refurbished, and served me well until my eyes got older.  But, if you mention Leica to today's users, their world starts with the Leica M,  with the bayonet mount and viewfinder that still predominates.  Hence, my use of the word "outdated".  I had no contact with Olympus until I went to digital, so I missed out on the Oly film cameras and lenses.

I do not downplay the capabilities of vintage lenses.  With the advent of adapters, I use many types, including Leica-R, Pentax and others with OM-D and Fuji bodies. They certainly have their uses.  But, the older I get, the more I turn to autofocus.

That is a nice image and glad you have it.

<<I was still shooting film, with outdated Leica, Pentax, and a few other
cameras.

I do strongly object to your terminology, "outdated."   If you enjoy using the gear and
they create pleasing images, then "vintage" is  more appropriate.
I bet some are even "cult classics" now.  If they do neither of the above and
all you experience are the limitations, then outdated I suppose may be  applicable for
some, but doubt for the red dot gear.  Some listees do enjoy shooting film with OM gear
and suspect many of us are becoming  more vintage each day, myself included.

Never outdated, Mike

--
Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA