[OM] OT: USB 3 PCI card claims "not migrated," but still works

Subject: [OM] OT: USB 3 PCI card claims "not migrated," but still works
From: Peter Klein <boulanger.croissant@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2021 19:32:11 -0700

Details:  I just installed a "FebSmart" FS-U2-Pro USB 3.0 PCIe card, $13 from Amazon.  My computer is a Dell Optiplex 980, 8 GB memory, 450 GB SSD system drive, 2000 GB data drive, Windows 10 Professional x64.  The Optiplex 980 is not officially compatible with Win10, but many 980 owners have successfully upgraded.  Mine has been happily running Win10 since last year.  I use USB 3 to back up my computer, and to download files from my camera SD cards.

I keep getting the error "Device not migrated" in the Device Manager entries for the Renesas USB 3.0 Host Controller and Hub. Despite the error, the USB card appears to work correctly. I can use it with my Seagate portable hard drive (for backups), a SDI card reader, and various flash drives.  Speeds appear comparable with the old card. A 2GB copy of RAW camera files from a card reader to my hard drive, and from the hard drive to my backup USB drive all went flawlessly, and bit compares of all these files showed no errors.

The FebSmart card was supplied with a driver dated 2011(!).  The manufacturer's web site has the exact same driver. Windows loads very recent Microsoft drivers (late 2020 and 2021).  I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling both drivers, and I get the same result. I tried the remedies mentioned in various Web articles.  No help. I contacted the manufacturer and got the following reply:

"Hello,I suggest you relaod System,for brand PCs some times it have some limitations . Some brand PCs do not accept the device ,it is no way to add it on . But if you reload systems all problems will be done."

In other words, "just reinstall Windows and all your software." Ummm, no.

Frankly, I'm not sure that the error message isn't bogus, since the card works.  So at this point, I can just run with the current card unless something truly goes wrong, or replace it with a $20 Inatek card (Chinese company), or a $37 StarTech card (made in Taiwan for a Canadian company).  Throwing much more money than that at the problem is probably not worth it.  I'll probably replace the PC in a year or two, but I'd like to get a bit more life out of it for now.

Any thoughts or suggestions happily considered.  Thanks!
--Peter