Re: [OM] OT: Earthlink Death Throes

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Earthlink Death Throes
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2021 06:51:51 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     Somewhat similar to using an acoustic modem.  I still remember those.

     Since Earthlink no longer has a viable dialup service here, I'm looking
into other "bottom feeder" options.  Using my cell phone tethered to a laptop,
I'm using about 500M/week, which is pretty cheap.  I can knock down the
Earthlink account to "premium email" for $8.95/mo, which saves me $20/mo.
Ending the landline phone will save $75/mo.  Cell phone prepaid data is $10/G,
so I can easily afford 1G/week and still save $$ overall.  I'm going to test
this option for a week or two before making the change.

     Verizon is very close to installing their hybrid optical/copper network in
my neighbourhood, and they will offer unlimited 5G wireless internet for
$60/mo, which is reasonable.  But I will keep the Earthlink email since I have
too many contacts to consider and my publications all have that email address
on them.  Using their "premium email" will be the exact same webmail interface
I've been using, so I will only be giving up the internet connectivity which no
longer exists.

>What’s this dial-up thing you keep talking about? Something from the
>last millenium?

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson