Re: [OM] OT: Earthlink Death Throes

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Earthlink Death Throes
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2021 18:21:21 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     Wish I could put some distance between me and them, but for those of us
who have to resort to dialup we're a captive audience.  I've been connected by
way of copper.net all afternoon.

     I refer to the "W" company as "Breakwind".

     I don't doubt what you've described for a moment, as I've had similar
experiences in both government contract and commercial businesses, many of the
latter failing due to gross incompetence together with white collar crime.
There were many times early on where I had considered moving back east and
returning to the ANG, but the outdoor opportunities outweighed the employment
difficulties.  My one shot at flying older C-130s for fire suppression came to
an end thanks to a fellow named Dennis Reagan, who pretty much grounded
everyone who was flying them.

     You have to do the best you can with the cards you've been dealt.
Sometimes you have no choice but to fold and walk away.

     BTW:  I also recall the demise of an earlier dialup provider named
Primenet.  They were bought out by Global Crossing (Bermuda?).  They were
equally incompetent.  When I dropped them I was still able to use their email
by way of Telnet.

>>      I've been around enough businesses that failed to be able to
>>recognize the early symptoms.  EarthLink has been in the early stages
>>for some time, which became more noticeable after Windstream
>>disassociated from them.  One of the signs has been that they have been
>>giving themselves their own awards for performance and customer service.
>>>

>Sorry, but I'm laughing hysterically here!!!! I was working for the
>"W" company when we, uh, "Merged" with Earthlink. That was,
>hands-down, among the most epic disasters imaginable. Early symptoms?
>I think the early symptoms started somewhere in the '90s. This was a
>case where there were literally two people in the entire company that
>knew how to keep the network running. (I am NOT exaggerating). After
>the "merge", one got moved into management (he was never management
>material), and the other left. Everybody else that was supposed to
>know how to keep things running were disasters as Earthlink management
>tended to hire only people they could tell how to do things instead of
>people that knew how to do things. And then, to complete the Keystone
>Kops scenario, the "W" company proceeded to replace their few good
>employees with these idiots as the merger agreement preserved the
>employment of Earthlink employees at the expense of "W" employees.
>
>As I was "forced out" of the "W" company post-merger, I have
>absolutely no love-lost for that loser operation. When they spun off
>what you now know as Earthlink, they also got rid of all the legacy
>dialup network from "W" too. But to "W's" credit, they got rid of a
>bunch of those clueless employees while they were at it.
>
>I'm SO MUCH HAPPIER being 3000 miles away from that hot mess.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson