Re: [OM] OT: Earthlink Death Throes

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Earthlink Death Throes
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2021 14:53:21 -0800
>      I've been around enough businesses that failed to be able to recognize
> the early symptoms.  EarthLink has been in the early stages for some time,
> which became more noticeable after Windstream disassociated from them.  One
> of the signs has been that they have been giving themselves their own awards
> for performance and customer service.

Sorry, but I'm laughing hysterically here!!!! I was working for the
"W" company when we, uh, "Merged" with Earthlink. That was,
hands-down, among the most epic disasters imaginable. Early symptoms?
I think the early symptoms started somewhere in the '90s. This was a
case where there were literally two people in the entire company that
knew how to keep the network running. (I am NOT exaggerating). After
the "merge", one got moved into management (he was never management
material), and the other left. Everybody else that was supposed to
know how to keep things running were disasters as Earthlink management
tended to hire only people they could tell how to do things instead of
people that knew how to do things. And then, to complete the Keystone
Kops scenario, the "W" company proceeded to replace their few good
employees with these idiots as the merger agreement preserved the
employment of Earthlink employees at the expense of "W" employees.

As I was "forced out" of the "W" company post-merger, I have
absolutely no love-lost for that loser operation. When they spun off
what you now know as Earthlink, they also got rid of all the legacy
dialup network from "W" too. But to "W's" credit, they got rid of a
bunch of those clueless employees while they were at it.

I'm SO MUCH HAPPIER being 3000 miles away from that hot mess.

AK Schnozz