Re: [OM] [OT] Viewfinders [starry 14mm]

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Viewfinders [starry 14mm]
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2021 20:01:11 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
<<<I was never quite attracted to the sonnie 24 GM but this lens looks quite
nice.
<<<The 20/1.8 is a nice lens but not quite the GM level this 14 is. What I like
<<about the 20 is the close focus, which this 14mm lens also has. (20mm close):

            https://photos.app.goo.gl/1z5au66uejQwgZaF8
            https://photos.app.goo.gl/hK9vQr9fFYNi6NMr6

<<<I didn't quite understand bokeh on 14mm but a couple of the shots on the
Albert
<<<<Dros link make an interesting case. And nice that his images can be viewed
<<<larger.

Nice use of an ultrawide, Wayne. I too would have never thought bokeh would be
a concern in an ultrawide. I generally don't take to ultrawides except for
nascent
increased interest in astro. My favorite WA FL is 24 mm and had many keepers
with the OMZ 24/2.8.  I still use it and it weighs next to nothing in the bag.
I did obtain a Loxia 25/2
before the GM 24 was released and the landscape rendering is a tad better with
it stopped down but it is not good enough wide open for astro, IMO though the
GM 24 is fine.  There is too much copy variation with the Loxia,  which is not
excusable.
The G 20/1.8 does look plenty good enough for astro in general.  I don't think
my copy of the OMZ 21/2 is quite up to this use though it is a nice lens. The
GM 14 looks very interesting, but will not pre-order.

Mike