Re: [OM] Knik River Northern Lights

Subject: Re: [OM] Knik River Northern Lights
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2021 21:16:17 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
<<<Sony A7 series are famous for losing faint stars. Something to do with
compression of Raw files? Maybe got better with latest models? But not with our
A7 II bodies. MikeG knows all this stuff.

Well some of it.  Almost all the cams will suffer from the  dreaded "Star
Eater" algorithm for any shot >=4 sec.  It removes hot pixels from longer
exposures with a spatial filtering algorithm, but it is not uniform in
affecting all color channels leading to color shifts in the stars (more green)
as well as the center eaten out of the stars.  It is more apparent with stacked
or tracked images and whether it matters or not for astro-landscapes at modest
display size is a matter of debate.  There was a huge petition drive for Sonnie
to fix it , but was ignored.  One suspects if the algorithm were  able to be
toggled  off, the hot pixel results would be a embarrassing mess.  The sensors
run hot and the IBIS has limited the ability to conduct it away.  Whether the
Alpha 1 is affected is unclear.  It can certainly shoot some impressively long
high res video clips, so perhaps the heat issue is better tamed. I'm  sure
we'll hear after it ships.

Keep Cookie Monster away from my stars, Mike