Re: [OM] Knik River Northern Lights

Subject: Re: [OM] Knik River Northern Lights
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2021 21:55:02 -0800
On 2/20/2021 2:51 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
Jim wrote:
Beautiful light and detail, Ken.  Sharpest stars I've ever seen.
Thank you. I will have to "Moosify" the noise out of the image, but
this was a quick effort to show something from last night. I'm likely
to do a raw conversion using Sony's Imaging Edge as that
noise-reduction algorithm works exceptionally well.

Sony A7 series are famous for losing faint stars. Something to do with compression of Raw files? Maybe got better with latest models? But not with our A7 II bodies. MikeG knows all this stuff.

Whacking noise without losing stars is really tricky. Better to shoot @ lower ISO, if possible. I know, coooold, looong exposure, star trails, etc.

Ctein was kind enough to send me a full size file of one of his Aurora shots from Yellowknife. E-M5 II, ISO 1000, PLeica 12/1.4. I thought at the time that Topaz Denoise did quite a good job. Just tried the newer, Low Light Mode tonight, and it did much better. Somehow held dimmer stars while still whacking noise. Impressive!

De Noisy Moose