Re: [OM] Olympus Flash Adaptor

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus Flash Adaptor
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2021 13:00:29 -0800
> From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>>     It's rather sad to look at the catalogue of flash accessories that
>> Olympus produced for the film cameras, where you had access to just about
>> everything that a studio photographer would use.
>
> I would disagree a little bit. Portable flash gear was never the best
> choice for a studio photographer. Nothing beat a flash meter and a
> fleet of umbrellas.

Uhm, a flash meter and a fleet of softboxes?

Brallies were great for portability, but I'll take a soft box to an umbrella
any day.

> Where Olympus excelled was in macro flash!
> Honestly, I don't think anybody else came close to the quality options
> (not just one solution, but many) that Olympus had.

Yes! That was one of the main reasons I got into the OM System.

Some of their bits, like the Telescoping Extension Tube and their two ring
flashes, have never been matched to this day.

> As to what we have today? I'm a little bummed.

I keep waiting for a radial-directed ring flash, which with reflectors, gives
you the ultimate in contrast control.

But instead, they keep throwing ring flashes with huge diffusers at us — not
the same, at all.

I have a 2400 joule ring flash with a radial reflector that I then bounce
against a 48" octagon for studio work.

Jan