Re: [OM] Earthlink Outage ?dial up? Means?

Subject: Re: [OM] Earthlink Outage ?dial up? Means?
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2021 14:38:01 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     And I doubt that any form of phase shift predistortion would help.  A
place I worked for many years ago (long since a failed business) fired me in an
effort to steal software I wrote for designing group delay networks.  It was
that valuable.  Fortunately, I was tipped off by a sympathetic employee and
wiped the hard drive clean except for what belonged to them.  I had written it
on my own time on a COMPAQ 8086 machine (the old sewing machine portable) that
I got at an auction.  I still have that PC, plus a few more.  One of the very
few computers you can use around sensitive test equipment.

>>      I can't imagine how that would be done, unless it's a very high
>>order of QAM.
>
>The constellation is rather significant, that's for sure.
>
>At the moment, our limits are usually 96 Gbaud with 64QAM, but at
>those speeds everything is dependent on fiber and amplifier
>characteristics. I can get those speeds across town, but 1500 miles of
>subsea will suck the life out of it and we have to pull things in a
>bit. I lean on vendor support a lot when it comes to designing these
>systems.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson