Re: [OM] In pursuit of Ol' squinty eyes

Subject: Re: [OM] In pursuit of Ol' squinty eyes
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2021 15:15:49 -0600
Nice images, Mike, all of them.  As to the final one, that is undoubtedly the most chimneys I've ever seen on one building!

Took a day off on Friday and planned a long hike behind Crane Beach in search
of snowy owls.  All the trails around here are busier due to Covid but not that
day as was 12 deg F and blowing when we started.   I was aware that it is much
better to start predawn in hopes of getting better shots of the critters nice
yellow eyes.  It was in single digits then and the prospects of getting Marnie
out there at that time was dim. She was grousing a bit as it was and had about
7 layers on.

https://www.olyendomike.com/Other/Snowy-Ow-l/i-tkF9p6F/A

This was probably balmy weather for AK AG. Marnie turned out to like every
minute as it started to warm up and the wind died.   We spotted one snowy owl
at about 100 yds away perched on a dune and it wasn't possible to get much
closer and stay on the trails.  Of course given how bright is was we couldn't
see his nice eyes.  I couldn't get a  really sharp shot this time for the life
of me but it is still thrilling to spot them--usually  successful 1/3 to 1/2 of
the time.  One can get much closer at Salisbury Beach, but the purpose was also
a nice hike with Marnie.

https://www.olyendomike.com/Other/Snowy-Ow-l/i-7Km6rT5/A

One shot of the Crane estate from the trail on the way back.

https://www.olyendomike.com/Other/Snowy-Ow-l/i-5BqtfD6/A

Perhaps next time,  Mike

--
Jim Nichols