[OM] Nathan's PAD 24/1/2021: Puerto Rican food

Subject: [OM] Nathan's PAD 24/1/2021: Puerto Rican food
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2021 10:27:11 +0100
I usually do the cooking duties in our house. But once in a while, my wife gets
the craving for food from her native Puerto Rico and takes over the kitchen for
the day—those dishes are very labour-intensive. So it was this weekend. She
decided to make pasteles, a dish made of ground root vegetables with a core of
meat and chickpeas, wrapped in banana leaf. Becuase this kind of food is also
eaten in South American countries such as Colombia and Venezuela, and we have
sizeable populations from those countries around here, my wife can find the
ingredients in local supermarkets. Four images.

Here she is, assembling the pasteles:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-rpH3W88/A

Banana leaf detail:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-7mMt9mp/A

Once everything is assembled, the pasteles are boiled:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-8g5z4Lv/A

And then the deliciousness is unwrapped and devoured:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-7RGhJVR/A

Bon appétit!

Nathan

Nathan Wajsman

Alicante, Spain
<http://nathansmusings.wordpress.com/>

YNWA

"I’m not arguing, I’m just explaining why I’m right"