Re: [OM] More Moose Madness - It's not all about the glass

Subject: Re: [OM] More Moose Madness - It's not all about the glass
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2021 21:15:16 -0800
Does clean up well. I am not quite smitten, but may get there soon. Thanks for
posting, I think.

😁

It is getting quite slooow with the combo at f9 but Topaz to the rescue.

Yup, slow, but OK in daylight. They say the 2x TC works, but that's too slow and reaching too deep into diffraction territory for me.

Was this at max mag which I think is 0.81  ("FF equivalent") ?

Oh no, nowhere near. Focal distance about 23', closest focus spec is 4.27' / 1.3 m. It looks so magnified 'cause it's a 100% sample. The Camellia photos I posted were at close focus@ 100 mm.

One suspects it was designed de novo to work well with the MC-14 --or was it an
after thought?.

Who knows. It's likely that their internal lens road map contained the 40-150 and 300 mm Pros and this lens overlapping, so it's possible the TC was developed in concert with all of them?

  Is the equivalent crop with native lens clearly worse?  That analysis is
usually done by someone early on with a compatible tele.   Working distance
should be longer than with the the Pentax T132 diopter but is the IQ as nice as
with the PL 100-400 at 300mm with the T132?   Does this diopter even work as
well with the  MZ 100-400?

I dunno. 😁  Lazy Moose is slow to undertake several projects. I got the TC at night. The next day, between showers, the sun came out and I took a few pix with it. Our curiosities may need to wait a bit for more details.

When I did my comparison tests of OM 500/8 and 600/5.6, Sigma 600/8 and Panny 100-400, it was nice and dry in the yard, and pleasant, shirt-sleeve weather. I can get a 26' focal distance in the house, which is barely enough for 1:40 @ 400 mm. I can get to 40' in the yard.

Perhaps if I promise myself the right treat, I'll do the indoor test. 😉

One advantage  of this lens with the MC-14 I see is easier focus perhaps and
the IS will adjust precisely for the combo and mag.

Yup, Perfectly integrated. Even shows in the EXIF.

The CU diopter throws off the IS--not terrible but it is not optimized for the
combo.

I never felt I had a problem with the Panny 100-400 and Panny's coordinated IS. Then again, maybe I did, and didn't know it. At the close distances of those sort of shots, there may not be much problem.

Too bad it doesn't have sync IS at these wild focal lengths.

As I mentioned in my reply to Jim, the lack of improvement with Topaz Sharpen, Stabilize Mode suggests that the OIS is very good, maybe excellent.

Burning questions, Mike

Smoke Signals Moose