Re: [OM] Brain surgery easy, convalescence Hell.

Subject: Re: [OM] Brain surgery easy, convalescence Hell.
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2021 17:45:50 -0600
Hi Jan,

My son keeps telling me its all based on UNIX. When he gets  a chance, he will install his favorite UNIX-based system on my old PC.

From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

The Apple world still has mysteries for me, but I'm
coping nicely.
OMG: Mac vs Windows. Couldn't we discuss religion or politics or guns or bokeh
or Fool Frame versus 4/3rds or something else less controversial?

To fuel the flame, just look at the installation for anything that runs on both. The
Windows installation instructions are invariably 2-3 times longer than the Mac
instructions -- sometimes ten times longer! (Mac: "Double-click the installer
icon.")

For me, it's always been UNIX underneath. If Macs disappeared overnight, I'd go
straight to Linux.

My latest "brain surgery:" adding a second 2TB SSD, which I named "Media." It
has all my music, movies, and photography on it. They are all symlinked into my home directory, so
any software doesn't know anything has changed.

The only "hassle" was that I had to remind Time Machine to back it up — one
menu pull and four clicks, and it backed up my new disk, and will keep doing it every hour.

This is on an eleven-year-old machine, which is still capable of running the
latest version of Mac OS.

:::: Utilize Another's Wants. The energy of desire promises more than the inertia of
possession. -- Baltasar Gracian <http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=Baltasar+Gracian> ::::

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA