Re: [OM] Soft Focus, Abstract and Impressionistic [was Wednesday Flowers

Subject: Re: [OM] Soft Focus, Abstract and Impressionistic [was Wednesday Flowers]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2020 15:54:04 -0800
On 11/23/2020 4:39 AM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:
Thank you for more insightful information Moose.

At 11/22/2020 02:02 PM, Britanica Moose wrote:

On 11/20/2020 11:53 AM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:
Moose, keep them coming. Abstract, impressionistic I enjoy.
Thanks!

Keep 'em coming? How about 80 photos? Taken with everything from cell phones to my
latest, Gx9 and A7 II <https://photos.app.goo.gl/eiWp74sY3sVdXhfT8>
Great. thanks for sharing. Some nice ones.

Glad you liked the trip!
Various Lenbabies, Canon 50/1.2, Sankor 135/2.8, SIMA SF 100/2, CCTV 25/1.4,
Nikon Soft filters, waterglass, regular lenses, pinhole, bigger than pinhole
glassless, and whatever I've forgotten.

All are actual photos. 😁

I found this article interesting to create similar dreamy effect from the
Dyotar 180mm soft focus lens:
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4033718
Anyone want to try adding some wire mesh to the back of a lens? Conceiveably
one could put a wire screen, cut to fit, in an OM to E mount adapter.
The "problem" (depending on artistic intent) with wire mesh, the "sink
strainer" aperture plates in many old soft focus lenses, filters with cross hairs, little lens
droplets, and so on, is that they all show up, one way or another, in bokeh.
Interesting observation I would not know off hand. Good to know.

Useful for special effects. Take a pic of a Christmas tree with an aperture
with tree shaped opening, and all the highlights are tree shaped.

<. . .>
So finding a lens with the right aberrations seems to be an art in itself.

Yup. As I mentioned in reply to Mike about the Minolta Varisoft, It's also easy
to miss something in all the options.

The Portragon has been mentioned the forums and I was curious. Again thank you
for the sample. I can't say that any of those jump out at me.

The Portragon shouldn't jump out. It's highly specialized for portraiture, so the effect shouldn't be strong. No diaphragm, either, only wide open @ f4. The Konica is just there as a "normal" lens. It happened to be new to me at the time, so provided a benchmark for the other two.The SIMA gets much softer and glow-ier wider open.

The combination of subjects and different lenses can become mind boggling. Do
you happen to have a favorite?

Not really.

I've got some photos I quite like with the SIMA. I have a limited interest in swirly bokeh/backgrounds, but when I want one, the CCTV 15/1.4 for µ4/3 or LensBaby Twist 60 for FF do a lovely job.

I like the Velvet 56/1.6 (overall soft/glow). The last example I posted didn't highlight the GLOW it can create. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Usher/VelvetBucketII.htm>

I also like the Optic Swap System Sweet 50/2.5. Sharp-ish in the center (or wherever you want it in the frame, with the Spark mount), softening and glowing around the sharpness.

I haven't done much yet with the Velvet 28/2.5+, but I'm looking forward to using a wider lens in their series. I do have an ancient (1970-ish), pre computer design, pre Adaptal, M42 mount Tamron 28/2.8, that's bad(nice) wide open I should compare it to.

I like the Canon 58/1.2. Originally released in 1962, in R mount, then in FD mount in '64, then a MK II in '66 (Identical specs), then a 55/1.2 in '68.I believe, from serial # that mine is the original optical design. Obviously, from the rapid releases of follow-ons, Canon was trying to improve performance.

I got a lot of nice/interesting shots on µ4/3 with the Optic Swap System Soft 50/2.0 on the flexible Spark mount. They've made several different designs of OSS mounts, and I have at least one of each. 😁

A lot of companies have made SF lenses at one time or another. Guess who
hasn't? Nikon. Why? Because their chief lens designer was not happy with their
prototypes. He was striving to duplicate the look of old LF glass, soft edges
combined with good DoF.

And guess what? That's the thing with all the above lenses, you have to choose
your balance between central focus, overall soft/glow, swirl, etc. and DoF.
Can't have soft AND deep DoF.

His solution was to develop special soft focus filters. They are like nothing else
I've tried. The full story is here. <https://archive.fo/ICZOA>

Some comparisons with a soft focus lens.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Lenses/Camom_LenB_NikonSofts/NikonSoft.htm>
I remember this. The Nikon filter, to my eye, is the most pleasing.

I think the Nikon Softs are an impressive achievement, offering something different than any other soft focus alternatives. I didn't post this when I made it, because of an annoying imperfection. Flowers, as they will do, moved slightly in the tiny breeze, so the roll-over isn't perfect. But I think it's a good comparison. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Soft%20Focus/NikkorSoft1/SoftvsAper.htm>
<. . .>