Re: [OM] MIOPS Flex smart trigger

Subject: Re: [OM] MIOPS Flex smart trigger
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2020 22:45:19 -0800
On 11/25/2020 2:25 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
Karlik Moose wrote:

While I really dislike having multiple systems (Sony, Olympus/Panasonic),
<. . .>
I sure agree about mix and match systems, but sometimes it's the only way to
get needed capabilities.
There is a HUGE part of me that says to get the OM-D EM1 Mk3 and a
"Speed Booster" and get rid of the Sony. While there is a logic to
that, I know that it presents an unnecessary compromise that I don't
need to do. I'm very likely to get an EM1 Mk2 or Mk3 and shed off the
E-300 and E-400, keeping the E-1 and E-3.

Black Friday E-M1 II for $850. AFAIK, Mk III adds only ND emulation and Hand Held HD. I think HHHD is limited in my sort of use. It handles camera movement, but has trouble with subject movement.

But I like Sony for certain things that just aren't as viable or possible with
the Olympus yet.

With my menagerie of non OM FF lens oddities a speed booster is not an option.

And it's the "yet" that is problematic. I've learned to never make a
choice on something based on future hopes. If something doesn't have
what you are looking for now, the chances are less likely that it will
in the future. And in the case of Olympus/Panasonic, the future is
even more compromised than ever before. I'm not overly willing to risk
my camera gear hopes and dreams on that platform.

Let's see, you are using lenses from the 70s and 80s, bodies up to 17 years old, and you are concerned about future viability of a vibrant contemporary system?

Nattering nabobs aside, it appears the Oly 100-400 sold out the first run
quickly; somebodies are still interested.

My reasons for keeping both systems is actually for the same reason: The Lenses.

Primary reason, but body capabilities matter to me too. In-camera focus bracketing has made many, many great photos possible for me the would not be otherwise. Proper AF, tracking and burst mode have done that as well. I'm thinking that Oly's Pro Capture mode will be another breakthrough for me. The IS (OIS and IBIS and sync of them) in contemporary cameras make the older versions look poor.
Ah, Obviously, I am never in "polite company", which I count as a plus.
Anyone who judges one's gear, as opposed to results, is not good company.
"Influencers" such as Tony Northrup have contributed to the highly
toxic anti-crop mentality.

Never heard of him until now. Don't care in the slightest what he thinks.

I'd consider half of his opinions to be
that of a crackpot, but with 1.4 million subscribers, he's far too
"respected" to be messed with. He fancies himself the gatekeeper of
the digital photography world. He's now calling those of us m43
shooters "flat-earthers".

So sad, that such a talented photographer has such an inferiority complex. Actually, browsing on his site, there's great technical brilliance, but few photos seem worth more than one look.

Once in a while, I get asked what brand I use, either out in the field or when
someone goes through my books. I always answer that it doesn't matter; all
current gear is capable of great results.
My answer varies depending on the person asking. Typically I say
"Olympus and Sony". It's interesting that I seem to get more respect
by identifying two systems.

Try Nikon and Canon.

Far Horizons Moose