Re: [OM] MIOPS Flex smart trigger

Subject: Re: [OM] MIOPS Flex smart trigger
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2020 13:26:50 -0800
This thing looks almost as complicated as my cameras. 😉  I would never remember
all that it can do, let alone how to do it.

On 11/25/2020 10:46 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
I wish Sonie could get GEO tagging right.
It looks to be an interesting device that addresses a few shortcomings
of these cameras. However, some items are already addressed rather
nicely with both Olympus and Panasonic cameras,

As you say. Several of these functions are built-in to P and/or O.

More important for someone with GX Pannys is the lack of a wired remote socket. This would be completely non-functional with my GX9s

while others with older Canon cameras that support Magic Lantern.

As to GEO tagging, I use a Garmin (of course!!!)

Yup, Garmin, too. This thingie relies on the phone GPS. I have not tried geotagging with my iPhone Xs. My older ones used less capable GPS chips. They were wildly inaccurate under tree cover, etc.

GPSMAP 64st whenever
I'm out and about and time-sync the tracks to the images in Lightroom.
It works well. Unfortunately, not all cameras do a good job of keeping
their time accurate. It's always an additional task to do when I get
ready to use a camera to make sure the time is relatively accurate. I
notice that the clock drift is rather troubling with some cameras.

I've not had trouble with that (except when I forget o change time zones. 😉  )  As I'm usually walking, and because the GPS records where I am, not where the subject is, I don't mind modest differences. I've several times posted a shot of Half Dome, taken from Tunnel Overlook. The subject is eight miles from the GPS location. 😁

While I really dislike having multiple systems (Sony, Olympus/Panasonic),

I wouldn't put Oly/Panny together like that.

They are broadly compatible, but there are detail differences. I dislike that Pro Capture Mode L on Oly won't work with Panny lenses, that I have to remember to turn IBIS off on a tripod with Panny, but not Oly, that cooperative OIS and IBIS features only work with same brand body/lens, that Oly is still using nostalgia to put the on/off switch in such an awkward place - and others that don't come to mind at the moment.

I sure agree about mix and match systems, but sometimes it's the only way to
get needed capabilities.

there is certainly a nice safety factor there that
I don't have to feel like I'm being left out just because I dress
funny. You never admit to shooting Olympus in "polite company" whereas
Sony is safe.

Ah, Obviously, I am never in "polite company", which I count as a plus. 😂  Anyone who judges one's gear, as opposed to results, is not good company.

Once in a while, I get asked what brand I use, either out in the field or when someone goes through my books. I always answer that it doesn't matter; all current gear is capable of great results.

AG Schnozz