Re: [OM] GAS

Subject: Re: [OM] GAS
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2020 17:57:00 -0800
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>

On 11/19/2020 8:01 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
And being the very helpful person that I am, I suggested he get the
new M.Zuiko 150-400 F4.5 Pro lens.
I've read that free weights are excellent exercise . . .
But it's "only" 1,800 grams. That's not much more than a fool-frame DSLR body
alone.

1. Useless comparison. What FF DSLR are you talking about? My 5D weighed half that, 895 g. For the time, it was a wonderful camera that I used for five years. Now, I wouldn't touch a DSLR.

2. In 2019, we spent 1/4 of the year, 92 days, on the road. Most of that time, I was carrying a GX9 with PLeica 100-400 mounted (along with one with PL 12-60) around my neck.. So I KNOW, physiologically, what that combo is like in practical field use. Perhaps this comparison will highlight how truly enormous the 150-400 is, while weighing twice what the PL 100-400 does. <https://camerasize.com/compact/#770.505,692.917,692.947,ha,t>

I imagine that most of your photography is done at home, on the farm. Sure,
it's fun to use the OM 600/6.5 around home.

Climbing an incredibly slippery, muddy hillside in the rain in remote NE Bhutan, walking the Burren in Ireland, forest trails in Mass and Maine, high rock and slot canyons in Utah, all last year, would have been incredibly more difficult carrying that lens.

And - would the photos have been any better? A few, perhaps, but mostly, I suspect not. And there would almost certainly been fewer of them.

Still no Sherpa Moose