Re: [OM] 3D Pop

Subject: Re: [OM] 3D Pop
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2020 12:56:38 -0700
At 10/16/2020 11:31 AM, Inspector General wrote:
>There are better experiments/examples that could be made. I've tried to
>convince myself that I will make them. Chances aren't that great.
>
>Always the curious empiricist, and still afflicted with GAS, a local Contax
>Zeiss 35-70/3.4 appeared on the 'Bay, then came to my house. It it came with
>papers and didn't have dust in side, it would pass for new. Perusing the
>threads on FMiranda, I hadn't really found examples that showed how this lens
>might be different from others. "Nice photo, but what would it have looked
>like taken with another lens?"
>
>So, I answered that question for myself. Flawed test. Running in and out of
>the house, changing lenses, checking what I was getting on the computer, the
>sun kept moving and the background changed. The subject and 6' focal distance
>aren't bad for 35 mm, but something larger and further away would have been
>better for 70 mm.
>
>OTOH, it showed me what I was looking for. :-)
><http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Lenses/Zeiss_35-70/35mm_comp.htm>
>
>And. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Lenses/Zeiss_35-70/70mm_comp.htm>
>
>This lens does indeed render quite differently from most. At least at optimal
>subject/background distances. A handful of other shots in other situations are
>fine, but don't have a special quality that I can see. A couple of macro shots
>have been less than impressive. Then again, I didn't buy it for macro.
>
>Inspector General Moose

Interesting experiment. I like the empiricist. Especially with regard to the
mythical 3D-pop. Glad I'm not the only one with GAS as I just picked up a Voigt
50mm/2.

I assume these are shot using an A7x?

At 70mm, the Zeiss looks sharper or crisper which makes it stand out more from
the background.

At 35mm, the Tamron background seems more blurred? compared to the other 3.
Could be just the way it renders bokeh. But again it appears the Zeiss is
sharper. Looking at the lower left of the subject, the rock quality just seems
to have more tonal variation. Is that just sharpness? or more contrast?

Perhaps the Zeiss is sharper wide open compared to most lenses, giving it even
more of the pop compared to other lenses wide open.

As far as I can tell, it seems the 3d-pop-ness is combination of sharpness +
contrast + bokeh, at least in this experiment. Correct me if I'm wrong. Curious
what others see?

I wonder if you applied some topaz magic sharpening, if that would change how
these are perceived?

poor empiricist WayneS