Re: [OM] 3D Pop

Subject: Re: [OM] 3D Pop
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2020 13:56:54 -0500
Looks sharp as well as demonstrating the "pop", should be useful.

On 10/16/20 1:31 PM, Moose wrote:
There are better experiments/examples that could be made. I've tried to convince myself that I will make them. Chances aren't that great.

Always the curious empiricist, and still afflicted with GAS, a local Contax Zeiss 35-70/3.4 appeared on the 'Bay, then came to my house. It it came with papers and didn't have dust in side, it would pass for new. Perusing the threads on FMiranda, I hadn't really found examples that showed how this lens might be different from others. "Nice photo, but what would it have looked like taken with another lens?"

So, I answered that question for myself. Flawed test. Running in and out of the house, changing lenses, checking what I was getting on the computer, the sun kept moving and the background changed. The subject and 6' focal distance aren't bad for 35 mm, but something larger and further away would have been better for 70 mm.

OTOH, it showed me what I was looking for. :-) <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Lenses/Zeiss_35-70/35mm_comp.htm>

And. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Lenses/Zeiss_35-70/70mm_comp.htm>

This lens does indeed render quite differently from most. At least at optimal subject/background distances. A handful of other shots in other situations are fine, but don't have a special quality that I can see. A couple of macro shots have been less than impressive. Then again, I didn't buy it for macro.

Inspector General Moose

--
Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA