Re: [OM] OT: Wifi Hijacking

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Wifi Hijacking
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2020 14:44:18 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     I did install the Avast SecureLine VPN, but not without a couple of
hiccups.  It wouldn't run at first, so I restarted the laptop.  Still wouldn't
run, so I decided to uninstall it.  Found there was a repair option and after
running that the VPN did run.  It takes a while as it determines which hub is
closest, probably doing a time of arrival test.

     Didn't notice much if any improvement while on wifi, but when I got home
and used the dialup there was quite a difference.  There was some noticeable
improvement in speed, but more importantly websites such as Facebook and
evilBay did not time out and leave me with a partial page.  I guess the VPN hub
is acting as a buffer.  I did notice that cloudfront still came through, but
there was no sight of 1e100.net, which is quite invasive.

     Cloudfront is used as an image server by NHS (National Hurricane Service)
and probably others, and for now only those IP addresses are coming through.
So, I'm going to evaluate this for the 7-day trial period and then decide if
it's worth spending the money.

>>      And I was just about to install the VPN on that laptop.  Guess
>>I'll do it tomorrow on another wifi.
>
>Ya think?

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson