Re: [OM] Three & Dee & Tree [was New additions to the Living History Far

Subject: Re: [OM] Three & Dee & Tree [was New additions to the Living History Farm & Seeing the Tree for the Forest]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2020 14:17:33 -0700
On 9/30/2020 8:13 AM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:
At 9/29/2020 09:48 PM, Moose wrote:

I don't THINK this is what Mike is referring to. He refers to a difference that
is immediately visible on the camera LCD; something microcontrast-ish,
accutance-ish, shape of edge contrast transition-ish.

In fact, the discussions of 3D on FMiranda seem to freely mix photos that are
wonderful examples of background blurring/bokeh with those that may have the
arcane magic to which Mike refers, and especially those taken with that paragon
of 3D, the C/Y 35-70.

So Mike, got a couple of ideal specs for getting the effect, subject, FL, focal
distance, background distance, aperture, and ???
...Micro-contrast and near focal plane OOF characteristics. You're not 3D blind.

So background separation from the subject is not the lens 3D-pop being referred
to.
This sample photo from a canyon 180mm macro has 3D-ness but not the pop.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/bbXUuMLxCkv2tns17
Longer focal length lenses would then be more likely to create 3Dness.

As to "visible on the camera LCD" I question that.

Just quoting Mike:

My impression of microcontrast as it applies to the Zeiss C/Y 35-70 is contrast
in the 20-30 pixel radius range     (at least when I played around with images
on the 5DII) It is not a subtle phenomenon
As I said one can spot that the lens was used on the little LCD on the back of
the cam.  (An aside--should LCE radius be changed in PS for very high
megapickel cams?)  3D pop is very subjective but you know it when you see it.

The other lenses used with the same in cam processing don't measure up in the
microcontrast category.

Magic Lens Hunter - WayneS

Moi Aussi* Moose

* But not Antipodean