Re: [OM] Reaching the Top

Subject: Re: [OM] Reaching the Top
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2020 18:15:41 -0800
> I like it!  Nicely composed.

Thank you.

I've been spamming facebook with all sorts of pictures from yesterday's hike.

I'm definitely feeling it today. It was the hardest hike I've done
here so far. I was almost to the very top when I look across over a
nasty spine with big drop offs on either side, and a final ascent that
looked a bit, uh, exposed. I go, "Oh, hell, no!". But I didn't come
all this way to turn around with only a few feet to go, so I don't
look down and literally crawl up with both hands. The top is so tiny,
and the first bounce is about a hundred feet down, it was windy and I
hadn't snacked yet. So, sitting down and not worrying about pictures
seemed to be a good idea.

I nursed an injury to my ankle. On the way up, I dislodged a rock and
it hit my medial malleolus. That stung quite a bit. But when I left
the summit, I didn't go ten steps when I slipped and wrenched my knee.
That had me a bit concerned, as it was 3.5 miles of difficult trail to
get back to the car. I made it and took some Ibuprofen when I got
home. It's fine today, but I'm not really doing much.

I took 1034 pictures with the E-400 and 14-54 lens. My biggest problem
with it is the lack of image stabilization and the shutter shock. With
the gusty wind, I fought camera shake a lot. Image quality, though, is
amazing. It's a good camera, but I have to tone down the image more
often than not because that CCD sensor is so sensitive to colors and
mid-tone contrast. I've shot with the E-400 enough now to see that
it's definitely a Kodak CCD and has all the really nice
characteristics of it, but the E-1 still produces a "rounder" image
with richer tones.

If there is any one thing that drives me batty about the E-400 is the
buffer. First of all, there is no indication of buffer availability,
and secondly, when I do a panorama image set, I get about halfway
across my sweep and I'm having to wait for the camera. Click, wait,
click, wait wait wait, click, wait wait wait wait wait, click, grab a
snack and wait some more, click...

This particular picture is not of the main summit, but one of the
lower peaks along the way up.

AK Schnozz