Re: [OM] Question on Zuiko Pro lens construction tolerance

Subject: Re: [OM] Question on Zuiko Pro lens construction tolerance
From: Lawrence Woods <lmwoods@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2020 20:56:34 -0400
On 8/28/2020 15:07, Wayne Shumaker wrote:

... does it go away when mounted on a camera and camera powered on? If still rattle, I would definitely say the lens has a problem.

... /It appears that the extending lens tube (the piece that gets longer >>
when you //zoom the lens out from 12mm) is a little loose. /
No, the lens barrel is still loose when the camera is powered on/. /I think it
is an assembly or fit and finish problem.

So I called Olympus USA support, described the problem, and was told that
because I had purchased a reconditioned product, I had two choices:
  1) Return it for a refund.
  2) Send it back as a repair.
Even though I had received a defective product, return for an exchange was not
an option.

That is the Olympus policy, and, the rep said as an aside, these products sell
out, and the don't have spare reconditioned copies in stock to exchange anywaay.
I did buy the lens as part of a 1-day reconditioned equipment sale, and from
past experience, they do run out.

I will send it in for repair.  The bottom line, however, is that I'm ticked
off.  Olympus's reconditioning process had failed to catch a defective product.
 I paid my money, won't have use of my purchase, and just have to hope that it
comes back fixed.

     ----- Larry Woods
//