[OM] Question on Zuiko Pro lens construction tolerance

Subject: [OM] Question on Zuiko Pro lens construction tolerance
From: Lawrence Woods <lmwoods@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2020 15:37:48 -0400
I just purchased a refurbished M. Zuiko 12-100mm lens directly from Olympus.  As soon as I unboxed it today, I heard a rattle sound if I shook the lens.  It appears that the extending lens tube (the piece that gets longer when you zoom the lens out from 12mm) is a little loose.  The rattle is more pronounced at 100mm than at 12mm.  Is this normal, or have I received a lens that is not as tight as it should be?

Similarly (or maybe coincidentally), about two weeks ago I noticed a similar looseness in the extending tube of my 12-40mm M. Zuiko lens when it was at the 40mm end.  I had not noticed that before.  After seeing this problem on the 12-100mm lens, I gave a closer look at my 12-40mm lens, and saw that the extending tube was loose and rattled at all focal lengths, though more pronounced at the 40mm end.  Again my question is: Is this normal and I just hadn't noticed it before, or has something loosened up, and the lens should get maintenance?  The 12-40mm is about five years old, and I purchased it new. For whatever it is worth, the looseness and shaking is much less noticeable in the smaller lens.

Advice, please?

Thank you

     ----- Larry Woods