Re: [OM] OT: Anyone try minidsp for subwoofer management?

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Anyone try minidsp for subwoofer management?
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2020 22:26:00 -0800
The DBX and Behringer are actually pretty easy to set up. The key to
survival is to perform as little correction as possible and then remove
half of the adjustment.

For phase alignment, you’ll base everything off of the speaker with the
greatest latency. For example, a ported sub is, by nature, a full cycle
off. Even more if it's multi-ported and chambered. I generally time
everything else off of the subwoofers. If the system is fully time-aligned,
drums will stay nice and tight.

As to using the microphone and auto sweep generator functions, I use that
as a first-pass tool. I do a dozen or more measurements at various
positions within the main listening area, but I find that to be nothing
more than a guide. It's good for time-alignment, but usually lousy for
Equalization. Most of the time, my ears and a couple of sneaky techniques
tell me everything I need to know about the needed equalization settings.

When I "ring out" a system, I use a sweep tone and have the volume set VERY
high. I'll wear earplugs for this and I use a SPL meter. As the tone hits
resonant frequencies, the meter will jump. This will then be fixed with the
EQ. For large sound-reinforcement systems, it can be addressed with EQ,
compression or phase cancellation.

If I don't have a sweep tone, but have a noise generator, I'll take a
parametric EQ, narrow the Q and boost it all the way up. Then I sweep the
frequency control across the entire audio spectrum. There will be a few
little pain points, and when I encounter them I notch down the EQ right at
that frequency until the ringing goes away at that point. The other thing
this does is identify cancellations caused by room reflections as well as
speaker placement issues.

As I think about the dual subs, with the proper electronic tools and
techniques, which are bordeline "dark arts", I would be tempted to utilize
the second sub as either a directional tool (to eliminate/reduce the sound
going to the side walls) or as an acoustic form of tuned mass damper to
control resonant frequencies in the physical structure or the cavity of the
room. Essentially an "active" bass trap.

But what do I know? I love Bose.

AG Ears.