Re: [OM] OT: Anyone try minidsp for subwoofer management?

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Anyone try minidsp for subwoofer management?
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2020 22:14:04 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
AG ears writes:

<<<<<Behringer ULTRA-DRIVE PRO DCX2496

Thanks AG ears.  I thought you would know.

I saw a Behringer mentioned by a few people doing minidsp tutorials.  I did not
have a clue what they were talking about until you wrote out the model.  It
clearly is  more professional  gear, and is supposed to be a bit easier to
configure to those that know how.  A modest search did not reveal many
tutorials for those that haven not ridden in this rodeo before--well it's a pro
model after all and they are supposed to know already. It is about double the
minidsp 2X4 HD at >400 bucks on some sites.  I presume the HD in the minidsp is
for the higher sampling rate at 96kHz --2 is for the # inputs and 4--# outputs
for those interested.  The less expensive minidsp is only 100 bucks but that
will not  do as only goes up to 7 msec delay and may not play nicely with my
old amp I planned to use. In for 100, in for 200, but perhaps not for 400. The
gizmo seems to use an AD converter, does its magic in the digital domain
including a 10 band parametric equalizer if required, then back to analog
  with DA converter; phew.  Alot of machinations for the money.  Surprised it
works as well as it does.

Any suggestions as how to construct the "target response curve" ?

<<<The products aimed for the home theater market usually are junk.

Weird about that--seems to be driven by unsubstantiated elitism.  I am rather a
"5 sigma" type of person. The earlier version of Audysey room correction is not
that great and finicky to get to run correctly to boot.  The Anthem avr's with
"ARC"-- (Anthem room correction,  not audio return channel) seems to do better
for those not able to do this manually.

If can't find a step by step guide for the Behringer will likely need to use
the Minidsp and save the 200 bucks.  I trust the Minidsp doesn't lose its
settings if loses power; that would be a PITA as have to load the file from a
laptop.

New rodeo, Mike