Re: [OM] Hodgepodge Thoughts and Other Ramblings

Subject: Re: [OM] Hodgepodge Thoughts and Other Ramblings
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2020 16:56:16 -0700
On 7/16/2020 1:01 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
Instead of couching this as something important in the subject line
and fooling you all, I decided to be clear about my lack of clarity.
These are just a few random thoughts and items not specifically on any
one topic.

2. E-3. It's strange how a camera grows on a person.

Dermatologist? Or more serious surgery required?

OK, I do like using my GX9s more than I did the E-M5 and E-M5 II bodies. I think it may be down to the way it's possible to turn them on and off without using two hands?

Honestly, when it comes to a pure picture-taking machine in "battlefield
conditions"

I don't understand what that means? Is it like bending the stops on the
hyperbole sliders?

The military and I did not get along. Perhaps warfare based analogies don't
work for me?

the
E-3 is REALLY GOOD. The sensor has issues at high ISO and with extreme
dynamic range, but when used in the sweet spot, it's a rock-solid
camera that really grows on me. When you MUST get the picture, the E-3
is the best camera in my kit to grab. However, the IBIS is totally
fooled when I'm photographing airplanes.

3. Panasonic DMC-GX85. It's funny how this camera falls in and out of
favor on almost a daily basis. I hate it, I love it. I love to hate
it. I hate to love it. It's my go-everywhere camera that just delivers
the goods time after time. Viewfinder is miserable, but the camera
just wants to be with me. Time-lapse and the remote control app are
dead-on. I really do like this camera. But the sensor is sometimes
frustrating. It ain't no Kodak CCD. I fight the colors, but it does
give me the best B&W conversions possible. Same with the L1. These are
among the best cameras for digital B&W there are. Honestly, the kit
lenses are amazing, and the elcheepo 25/1.7 is stunning.

4. Sony A7 II. . . . but the ancient E-3 absolutely runs circles
around the Sony every single time.

I can't imagine ever using a DSLR again. I don't need a buggy whip for my car,
nor a DSLR for my photography. :-)

5. Speaking of the Sony... Yesterday, I was taking pictures with the
app (finally got it to work, the razer blades were put back away), and
took slightly more than 250 pictures with it only to discover that I
had forgotten to put a memory card in the camera. But I did have lower
quality JPEGs on my phone. Stupid, stupid, stupid...

The app doesn't reproduce the flashing RED "NO CARD" warning? Should do.

6. Sunset skies and native colors. . . . When you have a guide image
to work from, it's relatively easy to adjust in Lightroom, but without
the guide image, it's all guesswork.

I have no guide, so I'm simple, stupid happy.

7. Oh, how I despise the auto-WB feature in Lightroom. It ALWAYS skews
warm. Ugh.

I just don't "get" Auto WB, in camera or software. Sure, it's a useful tool, once in a long while. My cameras are set on Daylight WB, except when I occasionally remember to set "Tungsten" under incandescent light.

I really odd light, I pull the WhiBal card out of my wallet. Very useful in situations such as museums with who knows what lighting.

8. Zuiko 28/2 lens. Man alive, that lens is so good.

9. Focus peaking on the Sony A7 II. Yeah, that's the ticket. I'm in
hog heaven. Shame that the Panasonic's focus peaking is not nearly as
good.

Sheesh, another EVF difference I don't notice.

I suppose this stuff explains all my crappy photos. :-)

10. Portrait flash photography.

Huh? ;-)

11. We have a momma Black Bear and two cubs running around our houses.
Yesterday, momma chased a young moose through the yard and across the
drive. Not sure where momma moose was in that, but Jack London would
be proud.

Neato!

Muddling Through Moose