Re: [OM] Hodgepodge Thoughts and Other Ramblings

Subject: Re: [OM] Hodgepodge Thoughts and Other Ramblings
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2020 13:51:21 -0800
Philippe wote:

> Ummm, tried a fuji lately?

No. But I'm also referring to the native RAW files as initially
converted with minimal flavoring. Some cameras require less
bit-bending to get the colors where you want. Most Canon files look
like watercolor paintings at the same starting point. Highly bendable,
but the start point is as exciting as a bowl of grits.

> Sorry to read you shoot airplanes - the Russians and and Iranians do, I
> didn’t know about Alakans ...

Sadly, the AN-225 has completed its series of COVID flights. I have to

> Agreed as to the L1 - but watch those grilled highlight ...

Mighty frustrating, that raw converter flaw. On occasion I have to do
a conversion with SilkyPix before moving on my way. However, in all
fairness, the in-camera JPEGs from the L1 are quite remarkable.

> Are we aging dear Ken? The feel and menus are not for me either, far from it

I'm not so bothered by the Sony menus. They really are no different
than any other camera, except the menus are laid out horizontally,
instead of vertically. Honestly, even the worst of the Sony menus is
better than the best of the Canon menus. But who's counting. Olympus?
HAH! You need a GPS navigation device, as well as a spouse yelling at
you to turn left at the corner you just passed to find your way
through an Olympus menu.

> > ???

The Android/iOS app connectivity to the Sony defines another circle of
hell that Dante couldn't even dream of.

> Happens with film sometimes - when you get the counter to 42 you know
> something went wrong ;-)

Thank you for putting this into perspective. We've ALL done that at
least once in our lives. I developed a technique with the OM bodies
that saved my skin several times. I let a finger on my left hand
lightly rest on the rewind knob. When the film is advance, I can feel
the knob move against my skin. If it isn't moving, I know something is
wrong. I do that regardless of manual advance or motordrive.

> > opposites when it comes to what to do with golden hour light.
> Not the best time to shoot digital I’m afraid

I agree. In my experience, Provia 100F is the best golden hour film
and there isn't any digital sensor that even comes close. However,
that doesn't mean that I can't get good golden hour images with
digital, but it does mean that I'm either fighting the colors or I go
a different direction and invent my own reality.

> What about your own memory? Or better, your artistic eye? These would
> compensate most of the presumed flaws, woud it not?

My memory is highly flawed and my artistic eye is influenced by what I
see. My artistic adventures usually involve taking the sliders in
Lightroom and cranking them to -100/+100 to see what might jump out at
me. Usually, though, I'm trying to come up with an image that is close
to what a Provia 100F image is and then adjust from there. I consider
Provia 100F to be my "baseline" look that I build upon. Sometimes, I
can't even come close and I get frustrated. With rare exceptions, any
time you see me post a digital B&W image, it's because the color
version is a total cluster.

> Auto WB in LR is yecchy - always use ASIS is my motto - well, I trust my
> cameras more than Adobe, am I so wrong doing so?

It depends on the camera. The GX85 native WB is off kilter. As to the
Lightroom Auto WB, it appears to be setting the WB based on pixels
that are just off of max white or just off of max black. I could swear
that Adobe changed this about two years ago and everything is too
yellowish ever since.

> NO FLASH ME tells you to shoot in nature light, and FROM the SHADOW side, as
> per the late Ted Grant

Portrait photography. Senior pictures, model headshots. I've done
several sessions lately.

> Read his works as a teenager - might endeavour to find time for a newer
> perusal :-)

I recently reread "Call of the Wild". Now that I live here, it brings
some elements to life that I didn't understand before. Generally
speaking, I don't care for most of Jack London's writing as it tends
to be a little shallow and dialog weak. But the storyline on Hal,
Charles, and Mercedes is quite good. It reveals the mindset of the
average Walmart shopper on Black Friday.

AG Schnozz